Last week I was craving Pineapple Upside Down Cake, but didn’t have have anything readily available to make it. The next morning it was haunting my taste buds so I decided to head to the store and gather up the ingredients. Later that day I experimented and made these bad boys. Oh man, they were delicious.
Ingredients for 18 cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour (sifted)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 (8 oz) can of crushed pineapple
- Maraschino cherries (halved)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar (more or less, it depends on consistency)
- hot water, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time; scrape down bowl, and beat in vanilla & pineapple.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternatively, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, about three-quarters full each. Place a half maraschino cherry on top and put in to the center of the cupcake. Sprinkle brown sugar over tops (*optional).
- Bake until golden and tops spring back to touch, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer pans to wire rack; cool completely.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Add the brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium low and continue to boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cool to lukewarm. Gradually add sifted confectioners’ sugar. Beat until thick enough to spread. If too thick, add a little hot water.